Saturday, February 17, 2007

I am all alone. Ok, not completely alone. My adorable, red-cheeked toddler is asleep in her crib. But it's quiet. And nobody is demanding my attention right now. What to do? I am not used to this! Well, I could go clean out some closets, or file papers & receipts. I could clean (oh joy!). Hmmm...I can't decide. I already watched a movie with my older daughter this morning, so I should probably avoid the TV. I am battling a headache, and cleaning doesn't sound so appealing.

My mother-in-law (MIL) once shared with me a technique she uses for cleaning, and it is really simple, but it helps me a lot too. She sets the timer for 5 minutes, or even 10 sometimes, and spends that time in one room. When the timer goes off, she resets it and goes into another room. Sounds silly, but I find that I clean faster. I want to beat the clock. My MIL has ADD, so she has had to come up with different methods over the years to get things done. I do not have ADD (my prob is laziness, lack of energy, or activites outside the home that cut into cleaning time), but my MIL has shared with me tools that work. And I thank her for that. When I am feeling overwhelmed by all I need to do, I remember her "timer" suggestion, and things fall into place.

Another thing I do, is whenever I take something to put it away, I'll stop and clean up something in the room I walked into. If I find a book in the living room that goes in my bedroom, when I put the book away, I'll make my bed, or pick up socks off the floor, or take hair accessories back to the bathroom....and then I'll pick up something in the bathroom. Maybe everyone else already does this, but I'm not always so quick to think of great tricks or hints. I'll read Woman's Day magazine and look at the helpful hints and go, "Oh YEAH! Why didn't I think of that?!"

Yeah, maybe I should clean right now. Maybe I can get this place in tip-top shape and then---Ta Da!--I can keep up with things better! You know how it's hard to keep up with things when things are all over? Hmm...maybe if I get everything in it's perfect little place right now, I'll be able to stay on top of it all better. Sounds great, don't it?

I think I am itching for spring. I love to spring clean, and fall clean too. There is something so therapeutic about opening windows, taking comforters to the dry cleaners, and cleaning out closets. I just need to find some energy to do the dishes at night after the girls are in bed, and do as much at night as I can, so when my girls get up in the morning, I have time for them all day, and not have to clean. Isn't that the way it's supposed to be?

No comments: